September 16, 2014

I used super wasteful, toxic drugs and sorry, i'm not sorry.

There comes a point in life when you are like, "screw values" and whatnot. For me, that moment was last week. Let me explain….
… That lover, that's Ivy. She was my puppy growing up. I got her before I was even a tween because I was stuck at home with poison ivy.  Not just any poison ivy though. I am really, really allergic to the stuff. One whiff (yes, I got it airborne) and it turned my body into the itchiest place on earth. When I was little I used to get it so bad that that my face would be covered, scratchy, and oozy and it would be all over my hands, legs, arms, eyes, everything. It was miserable. I mean come on, my family got me a DOG to compensate for how bad it was if that is saying anything.

Luckily, I avoided poison ivy for 13 years, but somehow got it again 3 weeks ago. (Is that what I get for frolicking in a corn field?) Anyway, it started as a patch the size of a couple little mosquito bites, which is exactly what I thought it was. Not worrying, I took my trip to New Mexico, but it got worse and after some googling and retrospection I realized I had poison ivy. I looked up natural poison ivy remedies (peppermint oil, baking soda, lavender oil) and tried them with absolutely no success at all. In fact, the rash got worse and worse, and by my last day in New Mexico my entire right leg was covered in a raised itchy rash. It was painful, and it was spreading fast.

So I had no choice but to go to the dermatologist. And like any doctor would, she prescribed me medicine. Steroids. They work but they are hardcore and are burning my esophagus out and making me all dizzy and stuff. In addition to pills I got a topical steroid cream that contains crap that I would NEVER otherwise go near with a 40 foot pole including polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, oh and non-recyclable packaging. I got a little worried when I read the warnings: "tell your doctor right away if you have…vomit that looks like coffee grounds." WHAT?!
The pill bottle is recyclable, but the tube of topical steroid was more trash than I have made in such a long time! It's metal, so I guess I could cut it open, dispose of the chemical, and then recycle it? But i'm not sure if that is legal, so i'm not sure what to do.

The good news is, after three days of taking the medicine, my poison ivy is almost gone and my legs are almost back to normal. The bad news is my heartburn is out of control and i've made trash. Did I do the wrong thing? I don't think so, but maybe? I was in a lot of pain and didn't know what to do besides get meds because the natural remedies weren't working so I don't feel like I had a choice.

28 comments:

  1. You did not do the wrong thing at all! I am happy to live plastic and zero waste free - but when it comes to my heath I will bend the rules. So don't feel bad one bit! I would call the company to see if it is recyclable maybe? Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin,

      Awe thank's for understanding where I am coming from. It is a great idea to call - maybe i'll try the pharmacy first to see if they have any suggestions/recycling programs? I'll report back.

      Thanks!
      Lauren

      Delete
    2. yeah, it's amazing already that you chose this superb life style. but I guess there are things that we just couldn't help from happening. you do not need to feel bad about it at all.

      Delete
  2. Health first bb! If you're not around who's gonna save the world?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are feeling better! You could take the tube to a medication drop off location or a toxic waste drop off location that accepts used/old/expired meds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mandy!! I think that is a great idea. I will look into medication drop off locations for sure!

      Delete
  4. Glad you're feeling better. I think this was more than enough of a reason to bend the rules, your health has to come first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I'm all healed and feeling great, thank you for writing! :)

      Delete
  5. I read something about eating lots of quail eggs or yolks, for a long time could get rid of lots of allergies I intend to try that for myself, so i cannot attest it's working, but it is definily worth trying :)

    I would check with a good homeopath too, and on that i can tell if you can find a great practionner, you have good chances :)

    I hope it helps
    have a great day and thanks for all the informations you are sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next time you think you may be getting an outbreak try lavender oil and then cover the area. It's the air that helps the spread of the bumps. Years ago a Dr had prescribed after using a topical ointment to cover it with plastic wrap, but I know you are not going to do that so I'm not going to suggest it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith,

      Thank you for this suggestion! I hope I don't get poison ivy again, but if I do i'll try this :)

      Lauren

      Delete
  7. Nothing is wrong with what you did. Desperate time calls for desperate measures. It has started with you and I believe that many will join in this. Many have joined you and I hope the government helps you too. Recycle stores must be created where people can dispose thing and get it back recycled. Like giving old newspapers to them and getting charts back. And by the way, you are really fantastic. =}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Next time (though hopefully there won't be one) look for something called "Spotted Jewel Weed." Some places have it in a cream or salve...but it can also just be picked in the wild and squeezed to extract the sap/juice inside. I had violent poison ivy as a kid, but found this plant grows near the ivy, and is a natural remedy. Applying the juice soothed the itch, and helped for scans to heal the welts
    Just food for thought...I think I would have gone to the doctor too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also heard this works! The cure for poison ivy grows right next to poison ivy.

      Delete
  9. I too am a fellow terrible poison ivy getter. Sometimes the meds don't even help. I found that the best remedy is apple cider vinegar. It's has the ability to dry it up, but it burns like crazy! Just a heads up if you ever get it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try coconut oil! I just finished reading The Coconut Oil Miracle. OMG, we would all be much healthier if all oils are replaced by Coconut Oil. It's good for inside and out of our bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think there's anything wrong with what you did. I believe that the chemical treatments created by modern medicine have their place in the world. The problem is that we use them too often and to fix everything. There are cases where you need intense treatments. Natural remedies should always be the first option but when those options are exhausted, I think it's okay to look for alternative treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing wrong with putting your health first! Sometimes natural remedies just don't cut it. However I would caution you about medication drop off or take back programs. Whatever is returned will eventually be incinerated =/

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should never use oil on poison ivy since it will cause the rash to spread as the oil is absorbed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You might like this. A way not to get poison ivy even though you're allergic.

    http://vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=631

    There are many articles confirming this.

    Check out the website: vitamincfoundation.org to see the extent of what C is doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are organic in other ways, why not be organic for everything going into or on your body?

      All the new vaccines, by the way, are GMO, and alter people's DNA, contaminating it with other species' DNA (pigs, insects, viruses), so when we think in terms of health, we might want to question promises of health, and actually get to know what products actually do. Giving up commercial detergents because of all the junk in them is no different from questioning what's in drugs and vaccines. Many are things most people wouldn't even want in their house, to say nothing of swallowed, to say nothing of in their blood.

      Just like drugs aren't necessary to deal with poison ivy (or other allergies), they aren't necessary other allergies either. I used to intolerably allergic to my own cat, and tried high doses of C for a week, and haven't had a problem in years.

      What you are doing about organic life style is the way to go, across the board, to prevent diseases, too.


      The Doctor Who Beat The British General Medical Council By Proving That Vaccines Aren’t Necessary To Achieve Health

      http://exopolitics.blogs.com/ebolagate/2015/03/the-doctor-who-beat-the-british-general-medical-council-by-proving-that-vaccines-arent-necessary-to-.html

      Delete
  15. Studying involving successful methods how to remove poison ivy could be just about the most important survival knowledge to help posses since it could possibly save or even the one you love in case any of a person grew to be any unwilling recipient of the plant’s allergy-causing poison. gSee more http://survival-mastery.com/med/health/how-to-get-rid-of-poison-ivy.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Next time you have an ellergic reaction try taking food grade diatamaceous earth, it has gotten rid of my itchy eczema almost completely and the best part is you can order it in bulk!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is good idea to always have a First Aid Kit with you. You never know when you may need it.

    ReplyDelete